Laugh and be Healthy

Friday, April 28, 2006

Keeping Cool

In my handbag or briefcase, I must always have one or two books with me. I would read while waiting for the bus or MRT (Mass Rail Transit) or while waiting for clients. I would also read while queuing in the bank or post office.

Once I waited for my collegue, Miss Lim, at the Starbucks for 3 hours. I had no intention of drinking any coffee as I preferred our local black coffee. Morever, let us admit it, I feel that paying $3.40 for a cup of coffee seems much higher than that 70 cents at the kopi tiam (coffee shop.) The Starbucks was our meeting point and as usual, I took out my novel to read. 15 minutes dragged on to 30 minutes and there was still no sight of Miss Lim. After 50 minutes of waiting, I felt bad, and ordered a cup of coffee. Minutes passed by. Sometimes I stopped to look at some of the interesting customers who were dressed very fashionably. I eavesdropped on a group of youngsters discussing the political candidates for the coming election. At one point I felt a little sleepy and dozed off for fifteen minutes. Refreshed from the little catnap, I continued my reading.

I was almost finishing my novel, when Miss Lim calmly turned up like as if nothing had happened. No apologies... no evidence of hard breathing to show her desperate attempt to reach her destination in the earliest possible time... cooly and calmly she said "Hi!" Miss Lim is well known to be always late for appointments, but I never expected her to be so ooo ooooo late! 3 Hours! And all she said is "Hi!" No wonder she lived up to her nick name of "Miss Rubber Time".

My friends wondered how I could wait for someone that long. The secret is my books. Hence I could occupy my time well and would be less likely to get restless, agitated or bored from waiting. Like the Visa card advertisement, I could never leave home without my books.!!

Gan Chau :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home